The Spirit of Liberty Chapter dedicated the first Utah DAR monument, The DAR Drinking Fountain, in Salt Lake City on November 11, 1905. On behalf of the Spirit of Liberty Chapter, State Regent Mrs. Lee Charles Miller presented the fountain to the city as a reminder of those who served in the American Revolution, calling attention to the need of having a reminder for the children lest they forget those who aided “with unfailing loyalty” to the cause of Independence.
Present during the dedication was Real Daughter Mrs. Elijah Sells, the first State Regent Mrs. O.J. Salisbury, and State Regent Mrs. Mary Montague Ferry Allen.
The monument was first placed in front of the Packard Public Library located at 15 South State Street in Salt Lake City, Utah. It moved to Washington Square at 451 South State Street, Salt Lake City, Utah for a time before landing in its current location on the Northeast quadrant of Liberty Park, 600 East 900 South, Salt Lake City, Utah.
The water fountain outlets are located on two sides of the fountain for patrons. Below one of the fountain outlets, there is a lower drinking fountain for dogs “who may quench their thirst.”
No longer a functioning drinking fountain, the monument currently sits in the center of a flower bed bordered by a rock wall. The Monument is overseen by the Salt Lake Valley Chapter in Murray, Utah.